School Engagement Fund
Deschutes and Ochoco National Forests have partnered with High Desert Education Service District to set up a School Engagement Fund to support field trips to local public lands and outdoor sites and programs. Teachers from Bend-La Pine, Crook County, Jefferson County, Redmond, Sisters, and Culver School Districts can apply for the following purposes:
1. Transportation fees (bussing) for field experiences for students
2. Substitute fees associated with field experiences for students
Field experiences can be offered through local organizations such as High Desert Museum, Discover Your Forest, Upper Deschutes Watershed Council, The Environmental Center, Sunriver Nature Center, or Trout Unlimited, or be self-taught by teachers.
Before applying, follow this step-by-step process:
1. Decide what field trip you would like to attend. You can see a full list of programs offered in Central Oregon here.
2. Contact the organization to schedule the trip. Confirm the date and location of your trip.
3. Contact your district’s transportation department to reserve a bus and get a quote for bussing costs.
4. Fill out the School Engagement Fund application to request funds for your field trip at least 30 days prior to your trip. We will not approve requests without a quote from your transportation department.
5. You will hear back within 1-2 weeks regarding your request.
We prioritize field trips that (1) reach Title I schools, (2) include all special education and life skills students and (3) are aligned with grade level science standards.
For questions, contact: Jacqueline, Administrative Assistant, [email protected]